Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Raheja Apartments!

Hi Everyone! I thought I would do a blog update to show everyone where I live here in Coimbatore!

The front gate where our friendly security guards greet us with a smile!

Here is a link to the India Study Program's facebook album of pictures they put up last semester just to give you a basic idea of what our apartments are like!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.291840184163202.90424.172820189398536&type=3

India apartments are different from American apartments in many ways, so I'm going to show you guys a few of the... interesting things about our apartment!

 Here is one of the showers! Please notice the random knob on the left. I haven't found what it turns off/on yet...
 This what the typical light switch board looks like. A knob on top to control the speed of the fan, unfortunately this doesn't really work and our fans have one speed - tornado. The other switches control the electrical outlets, different lights, and the fan. I still have to guess which switch does what whenever I go to turn on a light!

The counters are also very short, not made for tall Americans!

 Our mosquito zapper! Its funny how much entertainment and enjoyment we get from chasing mosquitoes around our apartment.


Every apartment needs really high, unreachable cabinets above its front door!


There is nothing weird about this picture, but I wanted to show you guys my desk! I got this paper the store here for $1! I thought it would be a great way to display photos! I also put my theme bible verse for the semester on it! It is Matthew 5:13-16 which says, " 13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. 14 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

Hope you all enjoyed this post about my home away from home! I thought it would be fun to share will you all something from my daily life here in India!

This weekend we are going to a tribal village near a town called Ooty! I will undoubtedly have some pictures and stories to share from this trip upon our return! 

Also, here is a picture I took of a man riding on the back of a motorcycle holding two live chickens... only in India. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment